Friday, September 19, 2014

Proudly powered by WordPress | Theme: Confit by WordPress.com .


Padma dry mouth Venkatraman dry mouth is the a uthor of YA novels Climbing the Stairs and Island’s End . Of her latest novel, released to starred reviews in Kirkus, Booklist, VOYA and SLJ, the Kirkus reviewer writes:
[Padma] I got a doctorate in oceanography (nothing to do with reading or writing) because I like numbers, and I wanted to choose a profession that would give me financial independence. But I ve always loved writing, and as life progressed, that love only deepened. So finally, I became brave enough dry mouth to give up oceanography and try my hand at writing a novel.
Thus far, my three novels are for the young adult audience partly because I feel that books are more likely deepen a young person s empathy and compassion; older readers are more set in their ways they re less likely to change (as people) because of something they ve read. It s also in part because the movies in my mind have thus far featured teen protagonists as stars. Then again, right now, I m working on a novel for adults, so I do sometimes hear older voices in my head.
[Uma] Your books all draw upon the Indian subcontinent dry mouth its history, its lesser known stories, its social dynamics, and iconic character types that reflect everyday life in the region. Will you tell me what the importance is of setting to you? How much of it is craft and how much a personal exploration through fiction?
[Padma] I m American and I love my American home and my family. But India is where my journey dry mouth as a human being (and thus as a writer) began, because it s where I lived when I was young. My childhood was rather horrid in many ways but then again, there were moments of beauty dry mouth and love even during dry mouth tough times, and the Indian culture left an indelible impact on my mind.
I also read many Indian writers (poets and novelists) as a young person and I m still fascinated with my origins, I suppose, which is probably rather self-centered! So yes, it is a personal exploration. But I m also starting after decades of living in America to own the American culture and am, in my current work in progress, exploring it.
[Padma] When I was 19 years old, I was bitten dry mouth by a Russell s Viper one of the four most poisonous Indian snakes – on a trip back to India. I almost died, and it s a miracle that I survived without having to have my leg amputated (it had turned all the colors of the rainbow and looked rather like something Renoir might have painted for a while). That experience of nearly losing my leg, not to mention my life, and of being so close to death solidified within me a sense of spirituality (without necessarily any religiosity per say). I didn t realize this until recently, but Veda s story was born of that experience.
Finally, on my 101st draft or so, I had an epiphany. Stories that feature a character s spiritual growth are rare. It was the core of Veda s story. As was her love of dance. A character s spiritual growth is incredibly hard to write in verse. It s virtually impossible to capture in straight out prose or was, for me, for Veda. Spiritual growth and the power of art especially of dance – dry mouth two key themes in A Time to Dance go beautifully with verse.
In this story, rather than form affecting content, it was the other way around: dry mouth Veda s voice (content) dictated form. And I m glad she spoke in verse, and I m grateful to all those who trusted that I could listen to her properly, including my wonderful husband, Rainer Lohmann. It was really a tremendous dry mouth relief that it s been so well reviewed. I m glad not just for my own sake but for the sake of the many differently abled (disabled) people I interviewed during the process of writing the novel. It s their story, not mine.
Enter your comment here...
Proudly powered by WordPress | Theme: Confit by WordPress.com .
%d bloggers like this:

No comments:

Post a Comment